Drinks with apple cider vinegar are growing in popularity. Consuming apple cider vinegar is just one of many ways you can use this versatile liquid on your homestead. It can be used for cleaning, improving your skin, preserving food, and even washing your hair to get a lustrous shine.
Homesteaders who want to enjoy the health benefits of apple cider vinegar may find the bitter liquid a bit hard to swallow on its own. Thankfully, there are some ways you can mix it up to make it taste better while still enjoying all the advantages.
In this blog we’ll explore:
- Why should I drink apple cider vinegar?
- Is it better to drink apple cider vinegar in the morning or at night?
- What are the health benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar?
- What are 3 easy drinks with apple cider vinegar?
- Can I make alcoholic apple cider vinegar drinks for the holiday?
Why should I drink apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is not a new concoction. It’s been used for thousands of years, including in salad dressings and sauces. You can turn virtually any alcoholic beverage made from apples, dates, grapes, rice, or white sugar eventually turns into vinegar when exposed to the air.
Mentioned in both the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, vinegar was used to flavor foods and for medicinal purposes.
Why should you drink apple cider vinegar? Research supports some health benefits (we talk more about that later). It also can make some tasty dressings and drinks you might want to try for special occasions.
Is it better to drink apple cider vinegar in the morning or at night?
The short answer to that question is it depends. If you’re drinking apple cider vinegar to control your blood sugar levels, consuming it before meals is the best approach. Another key time to drink it is at bedtime each night.
A small study with people with Type 2 diabetes revealed that drinking just two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar at bedtime for two consecutive nights impacts your blood sugar levels the most.
What are the health benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar?
One of the reasons most people drink apple cider vinegar is its health benefits. Some documented research indicates its potential advantages. Here are some ways it may be beneficial to your health.
It can calm acid reflux
Some people swear by apple cider vinegar for calming acid reflux and another painful digestive system condition called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). There are no scientific studies backing up its effectiveness, but this gastroenterologist says it could be worth a try.
It can lower blood sugar
Helping with controlling blood sugar levels is one of the most popular reasons people consume apple cider vinegar. Some small studies support these findings and indicate that people with pre-diabetes also may benefit from consuming the concoction daily.
It can support weight loss
Another reason some people drink apple cider vinegar is its reported ability to suppress appetite to help you control your waistline. Keep in mind it’s not a miracle drink. You have to use it in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program to reap the most rewards.
What are easy drinks with apple cider vinegar?
If you want to give apple cider vinegar a try on your homestead but can’t stand the thought of swallowing it plainly, we have some easy drink recipes you can try to get all the same benefits with a much better taste.
Apple Pie Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
This drink is super easy to make. It requires just six ingredients:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Apple juice
- Cold water
- Liquid vanilla stevia
Here’s how you make it. Combine the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic apple juice
- 6 ounces cold water
- 4 drops liquid vanilla stevia
- 1-2 ice cubes
That’s it! So simple and delicious!
Afternoon Energy-Booster Apple Cider Vinegar Drink
We could all use a bit of extra energy, especially during the cold, dark afternoons of the winter. You need just 5 ingredients to make it:
- 12 ounces sparkling water
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3-5 drops of liquid stevia
Combine all the ingredients and – voila! – you have an energy booster that’s tasty!
Can I make alcoholic apple cider vinegar drinks for the holidays?
Yes, you can. One of the most popular ways to do it originated in the Caribbean with a drink called the switchel. It combines alcohol and apple cider vinegar for a tasty cocktail that has all the same health benefits as drinking plain apple cider vinegar.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 ounce spirit of choice
- 2 ounces sparkling water
- 1 ounce apple cider vinegar
- 1 ounce honey sage syrup
- 1 fresh sage leaf garnish (optional)
How to make it:
- Combine the first four ingredients in a rocks glass over ice and stir gently.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaf.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Myths & Facts. extension.wvu.edu. Accessed December 20, 2022.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease. mayoclinic.org. Accessed December 20, 2022.
- Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Acid Reflux? health.clevelandclinic.org. Accessed December 20, 2022.
- Switchel. liquor.com. Accessed December 20, 2022.
- Vinegar ingestion at bedtime moderates waking glucose concentrations in adults with well-controlled type 2 diabetes. pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Accessed December 20, 2022.
- Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Accessed December 20, 2022.
Get signed up to get latest updates and new information from the Jersey Milk Cow!